The North End church of Christ began in the summer of 1944, when a group left the Lynn Street church of Christ to begin a mission work in the north end of Parkersburg. On Sunday, September 8th, about 75 members met to worship for the first time in a house they had purchased and remodeled on the corner of 32nd Street and Central Avenue. The first services were conducted by Tom W. Butterfield. The first minister was F.S. Harper, who worked with North End from 1946-1949. The first elders to serve this church were Fred Morlan, A.M. Cooper, and Jesse Cooper.
In 1952, the church constructed a new meetinghouse on the corner of West Virginia Avenue and Willard Street. In 1959, the building was expanded to accommodate the growing congregation. Since that time, the building has undergone two major renovations, including a gabled roof and provisions for future expansion.
On June 16, 2003, preparation began with the clearing of land, to begin construction of a new parking lot, and a 12,973 square foot building, with a seating capacity of 492 to accommodate the present and future needs of the 280 members that meet at North End. The congregation is in the process of remodeling the old building to include a fellowship room, kitchen, and elders' office. The first worship service was held in the new building on February 22, 2004, with 281 for worship, 241 for Bible Study, and 228 in the evening. Our contribution was over $5,100. There will be an afternoon sing on March 7, 2004, 2:00-3:00 with an open house to follow. All area congregations are invited to attend.
North End is served by four elders: Mark Berry, Dick Cook, Gene Petty, and Bob Wright who have spent many hours in planning for the remodeling of the old facility, and the construction of the new handicapped accessible facility in addition to the workload they already have. One of our elders, Dick McKain, who was in on the planning stage of our new facility, passed away before seeing it completed. George Hess and Ken Grose were appointed to be on the site to make sure that the work was completed as designed, and for the safety of the workers. They both put in many long hours. Bob Reed offered his assistance by drawing plans for the new construction and meeting with the elders for their ideas. Many dollars were saved because of his work. None of this would have been accomplished without the generous financial help, prayers, and hard work of many of the members.
The North End church of Christ has served the spiritual and benevolent needs of Parkersburg, as well as many mission areas, for 60 years. Our aim is to be an even greater influence for the cause of Christ in the future. -1227 20th St., Parkersburg, WV. 26101. email@example.com
Return to West Virginia Christian