A Father's Day Tribute
to Charles Allen
Following In His Steps
Cindy Funkhouser Thomas, his daughter
- My dad's steps were soft and gentle;
- His words were very few.
- But his actions, deeds, and Christian ways
- The whole community knew.
- His steps at work were full of
- Dedication, service, and hard labor.
- From sun up to sun down
- He strived to earn everyone's favor.
- His steps as a church worker
- One could never count.
- He served the Lord in the seen and unseen jobs
- That others cannot surmount.
- His steps as a family man
- Spread so many different ways
- Husband, father, and grandfather
- Our love grew for him each day.
- His steps as an example
- Brought learning and appreciation to all.
- He had such a loving, giving spirit
- He would help others when they had a fall.
- Even on his dying day
- His passing was sudden and still.
- Selfishly, I miss him,
- But he would simply say, "It was God's will.
- So those final steps I follow
- Will be to the pearly gate.
- I am so anxious to see my Daddy again,
- But he taught me, "Heaven will be worth the wait."
(919 West Kings St., Martinsburg, WV 25401)
Return to West Virginia Christian